original post: Wednesday, December 14, 2011
this creative life ...
The Buzz Of Gratitude
We hear a lot about gratitude, lately. In fact, I've written about it previously. What's impressing me more than the volume of words expressed on the subject, is the actual effect of practicing gratitude as an embedded aspect of my waking consciousness — and the euphoric sense of well-being that it brings.
I practice thoughts of gratitude with my first waking breath. I become aware that I'm awake and the first thought that comes to mind is "Gratitude". I then begin thinking about each aspect of my life for which I'm grateful, until I'm fully awake a ready to bound out of bed.
It might sound hokey or trite, but it's astounding what a profound effect this has on my daily attitude and interactions.
On a very basic level, it makes me feel happier and more engaged. Feeling good makes you more attractive to others and allows for more opportunities. I'm experiencing this daily.
Another thing I've noticed: on those days when, in spite of remembering the things I'm grateful for, I find myself dragging my sorry self out of bed instead of bounding, I know that I will feel better before too long if I keep consciously remembering the good that is in my life.
And, it doesn't have to be anything grand. Hate doing the dishes? Be thankful for hot and cold running water. Hungry? Know that you are blessed to live where there is abundant food available. The same goes for those moments when you are resentful at having to prepare yet another meal. Dirty house? I am grateful that I have the capacity to clean it, if and when I want. Lonely? Friends and family will love hearing from you. Cold? Wow! Flip a switch and you're warm. Trauma in your past? There are low-cost resources in your community that can help you through it. How amazing is that!
Then there are the truly personal gifts: talents, skills, drive, and so on, and the fact that we can sit at a computer, communicate our thoughts, and connect ... truly, remarkable.
So, yes I am grateful. And I'm grateful to be grateful. I recommend it.
original post: 22 Likes

No comments:
Post a Comment