Pages ...

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Survivor Gene


Original post: Saturday, October 29, 2011



Sam Roloff in his studio




The Thriving Artist

As someone living with chronic pain, I know how easy it is to become distracted and distanced from my own creativity due to circumstances. Fortunately, my particular bugaboos fluctuate between being mildly annoying and temporarily debilitating. 

I’m familiar enough with the process to know that pain always passes and to have some perspective when my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders demand that I walk away from the computer for a few hours or a few days. It’s always frustrating and I have definitely been sidelined in the past, but I've been dealing with this long enough to know that eventually the pain subsides and my energy and enthusiasm will return.
Others are not so lucky, and yet they carry on, often brilliantly. Sam Roloff is one of those brilliant ‘carry-on-ers’.  Born with Diastrophic Dwarfism, which makes walking difficult and maneuvering through a world of five-to-six footers a daily test, Sam is filled with drive backed by genius. His mind is an inspired idea machine and his productivity is an affirmation of the creative spirit.
Underlying every physical challenge that we frail humans face is the psychology of the survivor and the question of why some succeed — and even thrive — in the face of daunting circumstances, and others succumb. 

The history of humanity
is the history of the survivor.

My theory: some have a higher concentration
 of the Survivor Gene than others.

I count myself as a survivor, for a number of reasons, but with glorious spells of thriving that keep me on track and working toward the next. I suspect that it’s the opposite for Sam Roloff. Thriving is his first nature. Surviving is his second.
I'm happy to announce that I will be working with Sam over the next few weeks and months to develop a project that will help children discover their inner Thriving Artist — and the joys of creative collaboration.



Original post: 16 Likes

3 comments:

Charlotte Rains Dixon said...
I'm excited to see what you and Sam come up with. This is my first visit to your blog and I'm also excited to see you live in Salem. I'm in Portland, just a hop away. Always good to meet other NW creatives.
Lora Fisher | flairCreativ said...
Thanks, so much, Charlotte.
It's great to hear from you. I'm excited to be working with Sam Roloff!
Best wishes, Lora
sam said...
Lora, I am looking forward to working with you as well. I have a bunch of ideas, so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment