Original post: Tuesday, December 20, 2011
![]() |
White Begonia — Lora Fisher
|
Chocolate was an important part of life in our house. On cold
mornings we could often count on Mom's rich sweet hot chocolate for breakfast,
with home-made toast and real butter from our Guernsey heifer,
Diamond.
I'm not sure
if it was from a sense of scarcity, Mom did
come up during The Great Depression, after all, or if she just liked things sweet.
No matter ... we could always count on a sweet treat pretty much every day of
the week: cookies, cakes, pies, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and later, candy.
My love for
baking and sweets comes directly from Mom, who took great joy and pride in her kitchen prowess. Known in those days
as a 'good plain cook', Mom was a master of roasts, meatloaf, fried chicken,
and mashed potatoes made with cream, again from Diamond.
Pies and
birthday cakes were Mom's specialties. To this day, there is no pie better (although my sister-in-law, Beverly,
scores extraordinarily high marks on that count, and many others). Mom's pies
stood out as the high points of any family get-together. Apple, cherry, and
wild blackberry, pumpkin, and the cream pies: lemon meringue, banana cream, and
chocolate cream. Sweet and very pleasant memories.
I will forever
remember my 10th birthday cake: chocolate
with a meringue icing. Where each candle was placed, was a
dollop of a different pastel color:
aqua, pink, lavender, sky-blue ... a masterpiece. We even have super-8 footage
commemorating this cousin- and frosting-enshrouded event.
My very first
memory of chocolate centers
on a discovery in the upper reaches of our kitchen cupboard when I was around
the age of three. This was obviously not my first chocolate experience, because
I definitely knew, or thought I knew, what that sweet brown substance was. I
recall the surreptitious pleasure of finding this sweet treat. Not sure where
Mom was in that moment, but I savored its chocolaty flavor and was puzzled by
the look of horror that passed over her face when I confessed my indulgence.
Turns out, it was Ex-Lax. That particular
'sweet experience' did not dent my love for chocolate. (I must have been too
young to make the connection from one orifice to the other.) Far from it. I
have continued on with my love for the sweet dark substance all of my life.
When I'm stuck,
chocolate gets me unstuck.
chocolate gets me unstuck.
When I'm blocked,
chocolate opens doors.
chocolate opens doors.
When I'm hungry,
chocolate holds me over.
chocolate holds me over.
When I'm blue,
chocolate lifts my spirits.
chocolate lifts my spirits.
It's best on
the dark side and is bliss-producing with coffee. It enhances the flavor of
almost every fruit and I've even been known to add a smidgen to gravy to deepen
its color and flavor. Chocolate has
the quality of being a perfect solo pleasure, at the same time that it enhances
friendships, stimulates passion, cements alliances, and invigorates economies.
In an informal
survey of one, women
out-buy men in chocolate purchases 3 to 1. No big surprise. Chocolate molecules
seem to have a special affinity for female brain receptors. After all, it was
up to us to know a good thing when we found it. The survival of the species
depended upon it.
Theobroma — fruit of the gods.
For more on this poetic plant ... http://www.livingalchemist.com/cacao.html
All images and titles (unless noted) are ©Lora R Fisher | flairCreativ.
original post: 46 Likes


No comments:
Post a Comment