![]() |
| Walk With Mom |
I woke up this morning
wanting to write.
That in itself is not particularly noteworthy, but given the funk
I’ve been in for several weeks, it has the air of a breakthrough
about it.
about it.
A rather high-intensity personality, which I come by
naturally from a long line of intense types, when coupled with certain key
stressors, can sometimes make ‘showing up’ a major accomplishment, let alone
showing up for my blog.
![]() |
| On A Walk With Mom |
I will not waste time by listing them all this morning, but will
only note that the loss of a close friend sealed the deal. That this friend was
of the four-legged variety has little bearing on the devastating sense of loss
that accompanied her death.
The week of her death was utterly wrenching — watching her suffer,
nearly unbearable. I waited, hoping and praying for either a miraculous recovery or a
speedy death. Neither came. So I bundled her up in preparation for a trip to
the kitty doctor to help her make the transition. She cried as I wrapped her and
lifted her from her bed. As I juggled the door, keys, and kitty, she began to
convulse, which at first felt as if she were struggling in my arms. She died
then and there. I felt her heart flutter a few times, her breathing stop, and watched
as her eyes glazed over. Little Dora was gone.
![]() |
| Among The Dahlias |
![]() |
| Ever Hopeful |
Losing an animal friend who has shared your
life for years is no different than losing a human friend.
The sense of loss is
the same and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or emotionally stunted.
I still wake up in the morning and glance in the direction of her bed. I still
see dark shapes — a carelessly tossed sweater or a shadow in the flower beds —
and for a moment think that it’s Dora.
![]() |
| Her Radiance |
Our living, breathing, sentient, four-legged sisters
and brothers walk beside us, sit beside us, sleep on us, and make us
laugh. They sometimes annoy us, provide a sense of commitment to something outside
ourselves, and give us one of the rarest things on the planet: unconditional
love.
I know that another fur-covered friend will
enter my life again, but if I have my choice, it won’t be for a good long
spell. There will be no rushing to fill the empty space, only waiting for the
grieving process to resolve.
![]() |
| Snoozing In The Garden |
It is getting easier, but I still miss her purring, warm little body napping on my belly as I relax in the evenings. I miss her.
![]() |
| Dora & Darling Daughter II |
That is all.







Lora,
ReplyDeleteThis piece is so timely for me. Sly, my friend, partner, co-host at my b&b, entertainment director, and companion for 13 years, breathed his last yesterday. The process was eerily similar to Dora's. Thank you for your eloquent expression of the relationship.
Thank you, Ron. My thoughts are with you and everyone experiencing the loss of a loved one.
ReplyDeleteAppreciate your taking a moment to comment.
-Lora